Artificial Cognitive Systems
Here are some links to to resources that are relevant to my course on Artificial Cognitive Systems on my main website. I keep this material here on the wiki to make sure it is current and up-to-date.
- Elizabeth Spelke's talk on Core Knowledge of Number and Geometry at the inaugural meeting of euCognition in 2006
- Trailer for The Age of Robots from Massimo Brega
- Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures Society (BICA) comparison of 25 cognitive architectures
- University of Michigan survey of (mostly cognitivist) cognitive architectures
- A Framework for Comparing Agent Architectures
- A world survey of artificial brain projects, Part II: Biologically inspired cognitive architectures
- Design principles for biologically inspired cognitive architectures
- MIT Open Courseware: Computational Cognitive Science
- Cognitive Systems Outreach coordinated by Joanna Bryson, University of Bath, UK.
Definitions of Cognition
- Over 40 Definitions of Cognition (it has proved difficult to define cognition and some argue that it isn't worth trying).
- A definition of a cognitive system from the Springer Reference Guide to Computer Vision.
- Action selection for Intelligent Systems by Cyril Brom, Charles University, Prague, and Joanna Bryson, University of Bath, UK.
Tutorials and Resources
- Tutorial on Embodiment: a wide-ranging summary of the main aspects of this discipline, from cognitivist AI right through to embodied emergent cognition, by Matej Hoffmann, Dorit Assaf, and Rolf Pfeifer at the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory Department of Informatics, University of Zurich
- Books and articles related to embodiment
- Situated / Embedded / Extended Cognition Resources: material provided by William Rapaport, University at Buffalo - State University of New York, for a course on cognitive science.
- Tutorial on Autpoiesis, Autonomy, and Enactive Cognitive Science by Randall Whittaker
- Teaching Material for the ACT-R Cognitive Architecture by William G. Kennedy
- BECCA (Brain-Emulating Cognition and Control Architecture) An Open-source Artificial General Intelligence Platform
- TensorFlow an Open Source Software Library for Machine Intelligence
- IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems
- Cognitive Systems Research
- Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures
- Constructivist Foundations
- Computational Cognitive Neuroscience
Cognitive Architectures by M. Ferreira, J. Sequeira, and R. Ventura (Eds.)
Research Networks and Societies
- TC-CORO: IEEE Technical Committee on Cognitive Robotics
- euCognition: European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems. This network was the first in a series of three networks, culminating in EUCog below.
- EUCog: European Society for Cognitive Systems
- BICA: Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures Society
- ESSCS: European Society for the Study of Cognitive Systems
Degrees in Cognitive Systems
The following is a sample of the Master-level degrees that are available in cognitive systems. If you know of other degree programs that you think I should feature here, please send me an email (the address is on my website).
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain: Interdisciplinary Master in Cognitive Systems and Interactive Media (60 ECTS)
- Technical University of Munich: Robotics, Cognition, and Intelligence
- University of Warwick: M.Sc. in Cognitive Systems
- University of Zurich: Master of Science in Informatics - Multimodal and Cognitive Systems
- Jacobs University, Germany: Cognitive Systems and Processes